So on Imgur, the responses were pretty much what I expected and they were illustrative of the flaws in the above meme post. Let’s face it, a powerful meme is hard to pull off. Clearly, it needs to be punched up.
The responses on Imgur included :
- Bad idea: This is a really bad idea / “Remember the Alamo?” / Having the drug cartel within our border probably wouldn’t be too fun. / No, it’s a fucking craphole
- Thoughtful Consideration: So I was really curious and so I did the research and according to the CDC we have about 22% of the Mexican population in our country / If we annex Mexico, we inherit their economic nightmares. A quick google tells me they have an unemployment rate of 25%. You want that? / We could have solved this whole problem if NAFTA had wage requirements. / You mean the rest of Mexico.
- Reinterpretation: Don’t you mean liberate?
- Riffing: We could just draft half the population to go fight ISIS with no training. And make it into a movie with Gabriel Iglasias.
- Progressive idiocy/Blame America: Aaah, foreign relations, republican style. / we helped to create it. (iran/contra)
All in all, a good cross-section of our cultural conversation. But at Reset Culture, if we’re trying to engage and move the needle, we need to provoke more than the “Bad Idea” crowd, tickle more than the “Thoughtful Consideration” crowd, be more clear than the “Reinterpretation” crowd, inspire the “riffing” crowd (my favorite, BTW), and stick a finger in the eye of of the “Progressive/Blame America” idiots.
First up, aaah, no, this is NOT foreign relations, Republican style, and no, Iran/Contra didn’t create our problems with Mexico. Both are just stupid.
In fact, the purpose of the meme post is to mock the Progressive Democrat idea that we can solve the world’s problems by making everyone American. Amnesty will not solve the problem and we all know it. The progs thought I meant imperialism, which is ironic when progs want global governance, the epitome of cultural imperialism. That’s a post for another today.
If we’re supposed to be funny and engage, we can’t have the progs completely missing the point, can we? And we can’t have others misunderstanding our intentions.
So, this meme post is not a joke, but a joketoid. It looks like a joke, but it needs work. The intent is to express the flawed relatioship with Mexico over illegals crossing the border, whether migrants, mules, cartel thugs, murderers, rapists (yes, they do exist, progs), terrorists, refugees or what have you.
No, annexing Mexico will not solve our problems either. And perhaps the word “annex” is too S.A.T. for our discussion.
But you might say, wait: why didn’t it work. It’s reversing the expectation like a joke. We expect the “build that wall”, or “Deport Obama” ending and we went to an off-the-wall idea instead. And yes, deport Obama IS a great idea but somehow the progs will still think it’s racist or something.
So, we go back tot the truth behind the meme. The angry or proud eagle is annoyed about immigration. The problem is that the federal government is unwilling to fulfill its mandate to secure our borders for the sake of our national security, identity and economy. The Obama regime is doing this to build the DNC voting base and weaken America because Obama believes it’s more “fair”. That’s an idiocy for another day.
Exacerbating the problem by Annexing Mexico should be what the progs want, but the post shows that they’re more willing to blame the GOP than obtain their objective. Hmmm.
It takes more than a twist to create a laugh. The GOP needs to get MUCH better at this if their to mock the prog back into it’s commie pinko bed wetting hole.
But perhaps “Deport Obama” is the best we can do to punch up this post. Any ideas for improvement?
Actually Focusing on Immigration
Hosting 1/4 of the Mexican population is pretty accurate though. How do we deal with that? Well, we continually sing that “what do we do with an anchor baby like Juan?” song, but the better questions on this debate include:
- Why can’t Mexico provide enough safety and prosperity for its own people?
- Why so many governments so cool with their population abandoning the mother country?
- Do all these people really want to become Americans or would they prefer to stay in their home culture(s) if they could provide a better lives for their family?
- If you consider these invading foreign nationals worthy of citizenship by “virtue” of their determination to cross borders and violate our laws, should the United States grant them citizenship when they’re possibly the only ones capable of changing their own cultures?
- Why is the United States a better magnet than a model? That is, our Constitutional Republic built on Christian values and capitalism has created the greatest nation in the world. So why is it attracting Socialists, Communists, fascists, Utopian boneheads and refugees? Why not more copy cats who would try in their own country?
That’s the place in the cultural conversation we have to reach.